Latest #steelydan Posts
- #NowSpinning Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic
Steely Dan's third album would be the last to feature the traditional band format used on their first few records, and sees them already reaching for the sound that would come to define their work in the coming years, incorporating a host of session musicians in various functions throughout the album. It is here that core members Donald Fagen and Walter Becker's musical and compositional chops really began to shine through, with one critic calling them "the real world's answer to Robert Hunter and Jerry Garcia." This album sees Fagen and Becker applying a jazz-rock approach to the traditional 2-3 minute pop song format, scoring the biggest hit of their career with Rikki Don't Lose That Number. It is with Pretzel Logic that The Dan begin to lay the true foundation for what Steely Dan would ultimately become.
#NowSpinning #SteelyDan #PretzelLogic #70s #VinylCommunity #VinylRecords #VinylAlbums #Rock #WalterBecker #DonaldFagen #RikkiDontLoseThatNumber #Aja #ClassicRock #TheDan #DennyDias
- Question Authority. Fight the Power. Listen to Steely Dan. #steelydan
Top #steelydan Posts
- Since we’re about to kick off Father’s Day weekend (my family makes everything an event), I figured I might turn to the most Dad of all albums, and that of course is Aja. If your Dad starter pack didn’t come with a copy of this one, somebody messed up. I grew up hating Steely Dan. I’ve never hated a lot of music but a good high school friend had Aja on heavy rotation in his room and the chorus to Deacon Blues made my skin crawl. Fast forward a decade and I started working at an audiophile vinyl store where The Dan was on even heavier rotation. Now I had seventeen other songs of theirs nipping at my brain like little piranhas. In April 2007 my dad had a heart attack (sorry for the sharp plot change but he was and is fine), one of the things I remember most about that night was sitting in the awful waiting room with the Bad Sneakers chorus running through my head on repeat. Hashtag traumatic.
I became a dad in the summer of 2011. I can’t tie my feelings on Steely Dan changing to the exact moment or anything, it was more subtle. Like my body chemistry began to evolve to become more accepting of the idea of being a father and also towards appreciating this band. All I know is I kind of love them now. Definitely love being a dad.
I hope all my fellow fathers out there enjoy the weekend. Fire up some Black Cow and let the smooth sounds of Aja keep you keeping on! (Moms, forgive us this one please.)
- Steely Dan working things out in the studio
- The Royal Scam is up there in my top 10 albums. I’ve never tried to work out the guitar solo but could (more or less) sing it note for note.
I suppose it’s all about the triads from a harmonic perspective. However more importantly for me the phrasing is HARD to get down.
Audio is recorded straight into the @suhrcustom Badger head using the @uaudio 🐂📦 I sold my 335 so though I’d give it a go on my @hahnguitars Model 228
Larry carlton playing in this album is insane, the outro solo to this song is also 🔥🔥🔥 #steelydan