Latest #parliament Posts
- James Otis was an American political activist during the period leading up to the American Revolution. He helped formulate the colonists’ grievances against the British government in the 1760s. His reputation was built mainly upon his famous challenge in 1761 to the British-imposed writs of assistance—general search warrants designed to enforce more strictly the trade and navigation laws in North America. These search warrants authorized customhouse officers to search any house for smuggled goods; neither the house nor the goods had to be specifically mentioned in the writs. Arguing before the Superior Court in Boston, Otis raised the doctrine of natural law underlying the rights of citizens and argued that such writs, even if authorized by Parliament, were null and void. In harking back to fundamental English constitutional law, Otis offered the colonists a basic doctrine upon which their publicists could draw for decades to come. At this time he also reportedly coined the oft-quoted phrase “Taxation without representation is tyranny.”
Otis also wrote various state papers addressed to the colonies to enlist them in the common cause, and he also sent such papers to the government in England to uphold the rights or set forth the grievances of the colonists. His influence at home in controlling and directing the movement of events toward freedom was universally felt and acknowledged, and few Americans were so frequently quoted, denounced, or applauded in Parliament and the British press before 1769.
In 1765 he was a delegate to the Stamp Act Congress in New York City, and there he was a conspicuous figure, serving on the committee that prepared the address sent to the House of Commons.
Already prone to fits of insanity, Otis was struck on the head during an altercation with a crown officer in 1769 and was rendered harmlessly insane, with only occasional lucid intervals, until his death. He died in 1783 after being struck by lightning.
- There's a lot of effort invested and kit to make to produce a jar of honey notwithstanding the travel costs and time spent feeding colonies etc. Tonight making even more (honey) frames for the next warm spell (touch of optimism).Support your local UK and EU honey producers and don't buy carbon intensive products of lower quality from 1000's of miles away to save a pound or two at the expense of the environment.
There needs to be a UK subsidy framework post brexit for commercial beefarmers. It's not going to make newsnight or even a manifesto but nevertheless its important. As is carbon labelling for food products (which supermarkets could support) to let consumers know the carbon intensity of their in-store or online basket with clear consumer choice. #honey #bees #beelife #beekeeper #beekeepersofinstagram #hive #britishfood #hertfordshire #brexit #subsidy #invest #defra #carbon #parliament #newsnight #carbonlabelling #supermarkets #hughfearnleywhittingstall
- Shri Narendra Modi chairs Meeting of Presidents of Political Parties
The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, today chaired a Meeting of Party Presidents of all political parties having representation in Parliament, here today. 21 Party Presidents attended the meeting.
Issues that came up for discussion included: - Ways to Improve productivity of Parliament
- One Country, One Election
- Building a New India in the 75th year of Independence
- Programme and commitments to Celebrate Mahatma Gandhi’s 150th birth anniversary
- Development of aspirational Districts
Union Minister for Defence, Shri Rajnath Singh conducted the meeting.
The Party Presidents appreciated the initiative of the Prime Minister to convene this meeting and seek their views on these important matters.
#politicalparties #democracy #politics #parliament #governance #India #elections #Gandhi #NewIndia #productivity
- I stopped by @rocketrecordswestsac on my way home from having lunch with @mikelorda today to do some digging.
This is probably one of my greatest digging treasures I've ever come home with. Parliament - Motor Booty Affair ORIGINAL PRESSING complete with pop-up book gatefold cover and STILL INTACT punch out figures. Oh, and the wax itself is also FLAWLESS!
Motor Booty Affair is hands down, my favorite album from Parliament and I've always wanted to own it on vinyl, but I had no idea that they did all this with the artwork, and to find another one in this great of shape may never happen again, so this one has a new home on Chilligan's Island.
Much love to Augie over at Rocket Records in W. Sacramento for having such an awesome selection of music. If you have not been by yet, please stop in and support this guy, he's one of the ones who does it because he LOVES vinyl!
#parliament #motorbootyaffair #originalpressing #rocketrecords #pfunk #georgeclinton #funk
- What a brilliantly productive day we’ve had at @ukparliament for the #AccessAllAreas @guidedogsuk campaign.
Even though my own MP didn’t bother to turn up #DoesMyMPEvenCare?
It was really awesome to meet fellow guide dog owner @mralexramzan and meeting the lovely @graceelizphoto who volunteers for guide dogs and honestly, the work that guide dog volunteers do never goes unappreciated, ! 😽
While my guide to the lobby; Andy, actually met me at Blackfriars station and cited guided me to Parliament and back again! 🚉
Ida gives me so much independence but it’s so refreshing to have the opportunity to have such support in place allowing me to focus all my energy on being present rather than having to focus extra hard on where we are going in a very busy London! 💂♀️ Ida true to form was the most excitable, scrappily, sniffy dog you’ve probably ever seen. I think she thought it was playtime: talk about showing me up love! 🤦🏻♀️ The MPs that we did speak to seemed extremely enthusiastic and supportive about making sure access refusals become a priority and reinforcing that such behaviour is not law-abiding. ⛔️ With 3 out of 4 guide dog owners having had an access refusal (myself included, more than once) it’s good to show solidarity and support for those guide dog owners who are not as assertive or confident when confronted with discriminatory behaviour. ✌🏿 Here’s hoping that this is the beginning of our government literally backing us up. 🙌🏽 Photo description: sassy and Ida standing in the local park next to the houses of Parliament, Ida is in her harness and looking at the camera and sassy is wearing her blue guide dogs polo shirt also looking and smiling at the camera
#IdaTheGuider #GuideDogs #BeautifullyBlurred #BlindGirlAdventures #Parliament #Government #UK #London #HousesOfParliament #AccessAllAreas #GuideDogsLobby #Campaigns #DogsOfInstagram #DiscoverUnder10K #disabilityadvocate #disabilityawareness #disability #sightloss #blind #livingwithblindness
- #repost @ipekbadirgali •I made a presentation @ Turkish parliament to point out problems of people living with rare diseases. * Geçtiğimiz hafta bugün TBMM'deki Nadir Hastalıklar Komisyonu'na katılarak sunumlarımızı yaptık. Şahsen çok heyecanlandığım, dinlendiğimiz/dikkate alındığımız için mutlu ve umut dolu olduğum bir toplantı oldu. Sunumumda kendi SMA mücadelemizden yola çıkarak karşılaştığımız zorlukları ve ortak çabalar sonucu bugün geldiğimiz noktayı anlatarak, halihazırda devam eden sorunlara değinmeye çalıştım. SMA'nın ilerleyici bir kas hastalığı olduğunu, her doz sonrası motor fonksiyon testinde artış beklemenin ne kadar gerçekçi olduğunu sorgulayarak; gelecek tedavilere (gen terapileri vb) hazırlık durumumuzu da gündeme getirdim. SMA teşhis ve tedavisinde genetik tarama ve yeni doğan testlerinin önemine değindim. Nadir hastalıkların izlenerek sağlıklı bir veritabanı yaratılması konusunu vurguladım. Sağlık personelinin eğitimi ve fizyoterapistlerin akredite kurumlardan sertifika alması konularında önerilerde bulundum. Ve en önemlisi; hastasına bir ömür boyu kendini adayan aile bireylerinin psikolojisine ve onları bir nebze olsun rahatlatmak için devletimizin politika geliştirmesi gerekliliğine değindim. Önerim, özel durumu olan tüm hastalara devletimizin kişisel asistan atamasıdır. Belki yakın gelecekte göremeyiz ama bir gün olacağına inancım tam. Sorunları gündeme getirirken amacım çok yönlü bir perspektif sunmaktı, umarım başarabilmişimdir. Ve umarım bu çabaların somut çıktıları olur! Sürç-i lisan ettiysem affola 🙏🏻 #nadirhastaliklar #tbmm #araştırmakomisyonu #kasder #sunum #raredisease #parliament #spinalmuscularatrophy #neuromuscular #disease #ngo
- Funkadelic- Uncle Jam Wants You (original vinyl release-1979)
You can't celebrate #blackmusicmonth without some funk!
- Not so shabby on the outside either! Welcomed to London with blue skies, met some amazing people from around the country and celebrated 70 years of the BSP!
Top #parliament Posts
- Congratulation Om Krishna Birla for getting selected as 17th #LokSabhaSpeaker
On June 14, 2002 Michael Jackson visited the English Parliament accompanied by Uri Geller and the magician David Blaine. He was greeted by Lord Greville Janner, and together they attended the birthday celebration of one of the ministers, the Chief Secretary of the Treasury, Paul Boateng. Then they made a tour to the Houses of Parliament.
📷 IN THESE PICTURES: Michael Jackson, Uri Geller, David Blaine, Lord Greville Janner celebrating Paul Boateng's birthday, London, June 14, 2002
#michaeljackson #kingofpop #legend #moonwalk #english #parliament #ministers #urigeller #davidblaine #lordgrevillejanner #paulboateng #london #mjking #mjhistory #mjlegacy #mjfact #mjrare #mjrarepictures #mjforever #birthday #celebration #HIStory #onthisday #june14 #2002
- -- Imagine how much nicer this view will be when there’s an abundance of scaffolding to accent the stunning architecture! That said, a sunset like this can be appreciated anywhere 👌
- Congratulation Om Krishna Birla for getting selected as 17th #LokSabhaSpeaker