Latest #navajo Posts
- #kindergarten #howtodraw we discussed keeping a promise with the #ceremonialpipe or the #peacepipe in kindergarten children make promises by making a #pinkypromise (a #Japanese tradition meaning "to finger cut off" and the person who broke the promise would cut off their finger) sometimes I think adults underestimate spoken promises because we value signed agreements BUT for thousands of years there were no signed agreements, no documentation, no electronic signature, no initial here. According to oral tradition the #navajo used #cheiftainblankets for agreements and treaties. This is one of the reasons for the name chieftain blanket... the blankets were worn by different tribal leaders to signify their integrity to the woven agreement. I have also heard the #Tlingit also wove blankets to represent agreements using elaborate shells and colors. The #Wampum made a belt made of #channeledwhelk and #mercenaria #shells While the #northeast and the #plains tribes are known most for using a #pipe I think that the act of #promise making is important. No one can claim they accidentally smoked a pipe or they did not mean to make an elaborate blanket and give it to someone. These are intentional actions. I do not agree that #manifestdestiny and the #Indian #genocide was justified because it was a war. #kitcarson did not just get blankets given to him because the people liked him... these were treaties given to him in ceremonies. He took them. Tribes exchanged treaties and agreements with the US government on multiple occasions AND when those were dishonored the leaders learned to read and write so they could sign documents and forms... these were also dishonored. The peace pipe is a simple way to recognize the impact of dishonor and a hope for renewed respect and integrity.
- That’s a wrap for the 2019 #Navajo Economic Summit! We’re excited to share some outcomes soon from over 500 registered attendees and sessions! Ahéhee’, thank you, to everyone that participated!
- Mel and Jennica are at the ABM Navajo in the beautiful Navajo Nation in Arizona making some international business connections. #abmnavajo #abm #navajo
- One thing that always stuck with me growing was being told "you never wear your jewelry when you go to sleep!" Curiously, I asked one of my grandmas and she told me that only the dead wear their jewelry like that.
Ever since then, I've always took off my jewelry before going to sleep. Hanging them up or tucking them somewhere nearby where I'm laying.
#navajo #navajojewelry #coral #turquoise #squashblossom #culture #teachings
- Final painting for my painting class... and last spring semester ever 🙌🏻
- These rings turned out great! This is what happens when Diné artist, Albert Jake, is inspired by a victorian era mirror frame!
- So yesterday while driving on the I-40 I saw the #navajo #county 🐷🐷🐷 pull out as soon as we passed and I told my homie were about to get pulled over. Mind you we were going the speed limit. He approached the car asking for the usual. Gave him the info and he said he would give us a #warning next he asked for me to step out to sign the warning. I complied. He then flipped the script and wanted to search my car. I told him there was no reason or reasonable cause for it. He got visibly upset. Then said he would walk his dog. I said fine. It took him 4 times to walk around my car and then on the opposite side where we couldnt see, he said the dog hit. So it gave him "Authority" to search. They sat us on the side of the HWY for 2 hours while questioning us. At the end of it all they didnt find SHIT cuz we didnt have shit. Moral of the story, this why we say FUCK the POLICE and your warning! It's hard to be a successful brown man In this country. Stay strong! It's still a war zone out here. ✊🏾🇺🇲🇺🇲🇺🇲 #AmeriKKKa #Arizona #theydontgiveafuckaboutus they didnt beleive were artist. They opened my markers and dumped ink in my back seat. #coldworld
- Classed up the joint with an original!
- ✨🌵RESTOCKED | BEST SELLER😻 10 new turquoise bars are on my website NOW!!! Tap the pic or click the link below
- "guys, do you want a picture together?" #2