Latest #biologists Posts
- NEW RESAECH HAVE SHOWN THAT PLANTS REQUIRE LOW "OXYGEN" CONCENTRATIONS FOR PROPER DEVELOPMENT.
@university_of_copenhagen @itucph @alex.ekwueme_funainigeria @funai_blog @universityofpisacrrps @rwthaachenuniversity @heidelbergu @ole.pedersen1
Researchers from the Department of Biology at University of Copenhagen, University of Pisa in Italy and RWTH Aachen University and University of Heidelberg both in Germany have now discovered that low oxygen concentrations (hypoxia) provide essential conditions for plant growth. "Equipped with a new generation of microscopic oxygen probes, we were able to measure the oxygen concentration of a tissue cubicle of approximately thirty cells, referred to as the shoot apical meristem," says professor Ole Pedersen, University of Copenhagen. "We found that in this region, a niche of low oxygen envelops the stem cells that are responsible for the production of new leaves and flowers. Here, low oxygen levels control the rate at which new leaves are produced by promoting the stability of a protein, named ZPR2, responsible for cell proliferation and differentiation." Hence, most plant tissues suffer severely in the presence of hypoxia as caused by flood event but this new study clearly shows that hypoxia is a prerequisite for the maintenance of stem cells.
This discovery follows those made in recent years about the control of plant metabolism in anaerobiosis, also published in Nature and Nature Communications and represents a step forward towards the understanding of how the production of new organs is connected to environmental parameters that affect plant growth and productivity.
#bioupdate #biology #science #scienceupdates #sciencefacts #sciencememes #scientist #biologist #biologists #botanist #botanicalgardens #botany #plant #plantscience #plantsciences #research #biologyresearch #biotechnology #biotechnologist #genetics #pathology #plantpower #oxygen
- (📢) Went for a late walk in the community forest and ran into another biologist doing Northern Spotted Owl surveys. It was one of my first jobs out of school in 2000. We had to do our own calling and didn’t have the call boxes (listen to my call on second video). We also didn’t have GPS and were surrounded by illegal marijuana gardens so hiking around in the forest at night was full of surprises. Was excited to see this bit of nostalgia. #spottedowls #endangeredspecies #technology #biologists #colleagues
- Comparative Prey Spectra Analyses on the Endangered Aquatic Carnivorous Waterwheel Plant (Aldrovanda vesiculosa, Droseraceae) at Several Naturalized Microsites in the Czech Republic and Germany
M. Horstmann, L. Heier, S. Kruppert, L. C. Weiss, R. Tollrian, L. Adamec, A. Westermeier, T. Speck, S. Poppinga
Fig. 3 Representative prey content found in snap-traps of A. vesiculosa. (a) Simocephalus expinosus (Daphniidae). (b) Copepoda. (c) Copepoda. (d) Physidae (Mollusca). (e) Chironomidae (pupa). (f) Notonecta spec. (Heteroptera). In (b), the sickle shaped cavity resulting from a trap narrowing motion after prey capture is indicated (it can also be seen in (a), (d) and (f)). The scale bar is 1 mm.
#openaccess #biologists #carnivorousplants #carnivorousplant #science #science #organisms #publication #biologistshavemorefun #
- Just another day at the office! And an epic chipmunk!!
- Today's Landscape Shout out goes to #chicago. When I took this photo over 10 years ago from the top of Sears Tower, I was unaware that later that night in March I was to experience the coldest night of my life. #coldweatherwimp
Instead of predictably pretending I know about all the great trees and shrubs you can grow in #illinois , or give you geeky insight into the regional climate effects of #lakemichigan, I think today I will show you a piece of my Arborist heart. A glimpse into why I chose an earth, soil, water, and natural resources conservation career path.
Chicago from above shows the beauty of our concrete jungle. Growing up in a large metropolis myself, I see the value, and the challenges of these urban heat islands, which have pretty much destroyed #nativehabitat to obtain our modern way of life. But the environment is OUR responsibility and we need to work with it and protect it, not for the frogs, but for US. And, yes, we need the frogs- no letters please, :). I see so much potential in these urban areas to take the tools and lessons #scientists , #geographers #engineers and #biologists have found to apply them to build a #sustainable human society going forward. One property- or building, at a time.
#concretejungle #leedcertification #treecity #geography #coldclimate #earthscience #climatology #leedcertifiedbuilding #urbanforestry #isacertifiedarborist #riverfriendly #greatlakes
- 💚 22 de maio - Dia Internacional da Biodiversidade 💚
- Ieri il "paté di olive" vi ha conquistato, diversi di voi mi hanno chiesto la ricetta.
Ebbene, nulla di più semplice: un piccolo pezzo di aglio, olive e se se vuole del tonno o delle acciughe e... via nel mixer!
Potete spalmarlo su una fetta di pane integrale, di segale, fette wasa o gallette di riso!
A voi la scelta.
Buona merenda 😊
Top #biologists Posts