Latest #atlantaarchitecture Posts
- Preservation Update! The 1923 M.C. Kiser Company Building has been listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Located in South Downtown, the building housed the M.C. Kiser Company’s Shield Brand Shoes line manufacturing and wholesale retail operations. The company closed it's operations in 1933. The building is a "good, representative example of “mill” or “slow-burning” construction...aimed at slowing fires long enough for fire protection measures to activate." The building retains "original thick brick walls, interior heavy timbers and beams, large window openings, and automatic sprinklers and other fire protection systems." Most recently, the building has been restored and repurposed into loft apartments.
- Proposed elevation for a house in Brookhaven.
- details always catch my eye, especially this ensemble from @casajacarandamx //
- Loving this walk-through of the Burford Residence by @plexus_rd
Buford Residence is taking off! 🎥 ✈️ _____
- Fans of The Hunger Games might recognize this regal mansion which was built in 1928 at the end of the Jazz Age and is often used in films and television shows.
Architecture in Georgia runs deep with elements to inspire any style preference. What would you incorporate from The Swan House into your next Italian or English-inspired project?
- Adaptive Reuse at the 1959 Bronner Brothers Building, Pittsburgh, Atlanta.
Founded in 1947, Bronner Brothers is one of the country's largest producers of skin care and beauty products. Bronner Brothers first started on Atlanta's historic Auburn Avenue, including in the Butler Street YMCA and the Royal Peacock Social Club. Today, Bronner Brothers is located in a more substantial space in Southwest Atlanta.
The 1959 Bronner Brothers building on the street that bears its name, has been adaptively repurposed into Relay Shop Spaces, specializing in warehouse, shipping, office co-working and marketing services. This 1959 building exemplifies the power of historic adaptive reuse, giving new birth to understanding historic warehouses to meet the needs of contemporary uses. Bronner Brothers' legacy lives on through this historic building and their continued impact on Atlanta, hosting each year one of the nation's largest beauty shows at the Georgia World Congress Center.
- 2nd story addition well under way in Atlanta.
Top #atlantaarchitecture Posts
- May is #historicpreservationmonth and today we are highlighting a 2018 APC Gibson C. Cornwell Keystone Award Honoree. For the past two plus years, the Glenn House has undergone an extensive restoration, historic reconstruction, rehabilitation and renovation.
The Glenn House was built in 1890 for Rev. Wilbur Fisk Glenn, a Methodist Minister and graduate of Emory College (now Emory University). Rev. Glenn married Flora Harper in 1865 and they had seven children. One of their daughters, Flora, married Charles Howard Candler (future President of Coca-Cola) in the Glenn House on December 3, 1903. The Glenn House was one of the first few homes built in Inman Park, Atlanta's first streetcar neighborhood. Known as one of the four "Grand Dames," the Glenn House boasted beautiful Victorian features, a tower porch, and a large scroll pediment that sat atop the front porch. During the twentieth century, the house experienced significant alterations to its historic Victorian character including the removal of the tower porch and the addition of non-historic craftsmen-like features. At one point, the house was divided into four apartments and a large majority of the Victorian interior was removed.
This project sought to restore and rehabilitate the exterior of the home to its former 1890 appearance. There was a single historic photo from the 1890's that guided the project. The project worked with the City of Atlanta Urban Design Commission and @atlplanning on the restoration plans and received a Type III Certificate of Appropriateness. Swipe ⬅️ to see the beginning and current progress. Follow @glennhouserestoration for project updates!
- Belly of the whale...