Latest #BBCTravel Posts
- 20|03|2019 March Equinox 🌷
- The Women Building Myanmar's Backbone
Myanmar has been improving their roads rapidly over the past few years or so, and it's already making a positive impact on the economy as well as increasing the mobility of the citizens. Newer, wider roads mean that more vehicles can take more goods, and travel times are often significantly reduced. The difference year to year is noticeable.
But before we get too far ahead, the roads are still a far cry of what most consider normal around the world. It's a work in progress to say the least.
And as it turns out, much of that work is done by women.
Much of this roadwork is done by hand. Barrels of tar are laid down over a pit, and cut open. A fire is started from underneath to heat the tar, some of which is used to keep the fire going below it.
Beside, a woman mixes the tar with pebbles, to create a gooey mixture used to patch busted up parts of the roads (of which there are many). It's not a glamorous job by any means, and often not necessarily a chosen one. Many of the women doing this type of work are farmers, and doing it because a crop went bad, and there isn't enough money to be made in the fields.
Sometimes, it's just the best of the limited options out there.
#UnTourToMyanmar #ThisMyanmarLife #Burma #documentary #Myanmar #shanstate #roadwork #passionpassport #bbctravel #everydaymyanmar #travelon #everydayasia
- mesmerizing view of Newroz celebration in Akrê, Kurdistan.
- 🔸So much of who we are is where we have been 🔸
- XIV. yüzyıldan kalma tarihi Hüdavendigar ya da Behramkale Köprüsü. Köprünün mimari form açısından Selçuklu ve Osmanlı dönemlerinde yapılan köprülerin özelliklerini, üzerinde taşıdığı taşlardan okunabiliyor.
- find the right light and let it shine. 🌮
- Happy #HoliFestival! I've written an article about my experiences celebrating Holi in India seven years ago (where does the time go?!) because I realised I still had plenty of photos which never made it either onto my site or social media 📸 I'm in the midst of a mini-overhaul of everything blog-related at the moment, and it's strangely cathartic to write an article in one day - usually it takes me a lot longer 😉 Check out my photos and stories from Holi - the link is in my bio!